Job opportunity: Conservation & Education Assistant
Chumbe Island Coral Park Ltd. (CHICOP) is based in Zanzibar/Tanzania, and has established and now manages Chumbe Island as an award-winning private Marine Sanctuary and Forest Reserve that has become renowned as the first financially independent and self-sustaining marine protected area in East Africa. This is made viable through an eco-lodge utilizing commercial principles with not for profit objectives to generate self-financing of the park. The park includes a protected reef sanctuary and forest reserve. There is also a Visitors’ centre used for Chumbe’s Environmental Education programs. Eco-tourism supports park management, research and education programs for local schools. The Education Programme focuses on providing experiential environmental education to students from Zanzibari primary and secondary schools. For more information, please visit www.chumbeisland.com
Job description of Conservation and Education Assistant:
The Conservation & Education Assistant is a full-time position based at the CHICOP headquarters office near Zanzibar town and reports to the Conservation & Education Manager. He/she is responsible for organizing and leading all school trips including classroom pre-visits as well as environmental education excursions to Chumbe Island as well as supporting the Conservation & Education Manager in all tasks related to the conservation and education programmes (eg compiling statistics and preparing reports, arranging special education events, participating in various educational activities on behalf of CHICOP, assisting the Community Outreach Programme, etc.).
Personal Specification Requirements:
- Educated to at least Bachelor’s degree level in environmental education or related discipline
- Fluent in English, both spoken and written
- Possess a genuine interest in nature and environmental education
- Must be a strong swimmer/ comfortable in the water
- Have excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Experienced in writing formal and scientific reports
- Be computer literate
- Demonstrate good planning and team-working ability
1. Possess driving license.
2. Have broad knowledge of tropical marine life / ecosystems as well as global conservation issues.
3. Be fluent in Kiswahili, both spoken and written.
If you are interested and posses the requirements, please send a detailed application letter and your CV (preferably via e-mail) by the 30th of November to:
Conservation and Education Manager
Chumbe Island Coral Park Ltd/ P.O. Box 3203