The first of the four special issues that contains papers presented during the Fifth Western Indian Ocean Marine Science Association (WIOMSA) Scientific Symposium, held between 22nd and 26th of October 2007 in Durban, South Africa, is now out. The Special Issue of Aquatic Conservation (Volume 19 Issue S1 (July 2009) title “Conservation and Management of Western Indian Ocean Coastal Ecosystems”, was edited by T. R. McClanahan and J. Paula.
This Issue contains eight papers, which represent a small but important portion of the presented papers in the Symposium. More papers presented in the Symposium will appear in the special issues of the Estuarine Coastal and Shelf Sciences, Ocean and Coastal Management and the Western Indian Ocean Journal of Marine Science, all of which will be out in the next few months.
The papers in the Issue are:
1) Editorial – Special issue on the conservation and management of Western Indian Ocean coastal ecosystems – T.R. McClanahan, J. Paula
2) Declining catch rates of reef fish in Aldabra’s marine protected area – Pierre A. Pistorius, Frances E. Taylor
3) Temporal variability in fish larval supply to Malindi Marine Park, coastal Kenya - Boaz Kaunda-Arara, James M. Mwaluma, Gamoe A. Locham, Vidar Øresland, Melckzedeck K. Osore
4) Seagrass-sea urchin interaction in shallow littoral zones of Dar es Salaam, Tanzania - Florence Mamboya, Charles Lugomela, Esther Mvungi, Mariam Hamisi, Albogast T. Kamukuru, Thomas J. Lyimo
5) Microbial and nutrient pollution in the coastal bathing waters of Dar es Salaam - Thomas J. Lyimo
6) Analysis of cover change (1995-2005) of Tanzania/Mozambique trans-boundary mangroves using Landsat imagery - M. A. Ferreira, F. Andrade, S. O. Bandeira, P. Cardoso, R. Nogueira Mendes, J. Paula
7) Evaluation of mangrove structure and condition in two trans-boundary areas in the Western Indian Ocean - S. O. Bandeira, C. C. F. Macamo, J. G. Kairo, F. Amade, N. Jiddawi, J. Paula
8) RNA/DNA ratio of crabs as an indicator of mangrove habitat quality - Valter Amaral, Gil Penha-Lopes, José Paula
9) Allometry and biomass distribution in replanted mangrove plantations at Gazi Bay, Kenya - J. G. Kairo, J. Bosire, J. Langat, B. Kirui, N. Koedam